Recipe for Veganuary: Madhu’s Baigun Bhartha
7 January 2021 / Food and Drink /
Many of the dishes at Madhu’s at The Grove are in fact, vegan. So for those participating in Veganuary – and for those who are not – we asked the Madhu’s team to share one of their most popular recipes. This authentic, South Asian dish features mouth-watering grilled aubergine, lots of delicious spices and chilli!
- 600g aubergines
- 350g finely chopped onions
- 4/5 chopped green chilli
- 100ml oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 350g chopped tomatoes (tin)
- 30g finely chopped coriander leaves
- 100g peas (fresh or frozen)
- Scorch the aubergines by holding them over a medium gas flame or heating them under a grill. Keep turning them until the skin is blackened on all sides. Set aside until cool, and then peel off the charred skin.
- Roughly chop and mash the flesh. Don’t worry if black specks remain on the flesh because they add to the smoky flavour.
- Heat the oil in a deep, heavy-based frying pan over medium heat, add the cumin and then the onions until golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer until the liquid has reduced. Add turmeric, red chilli and green chillies.
- Put the aubergines in the pan and mash them with a wooden spoon, stirring around with the spices, then add the salt.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the aubergines are soft and the oil is separating.
- Add garam masala and stir.
- Add the peas and cook through.
- Stir in the chopped coriander leaves then serve and enjoy with rice or naan.
To experience many more delicious dishes from the team at Madhu’s, visit their pop-up in our historic mansion when we re-open our doors.Find out more