Recipe: Creamy Chicken, Leek and Tarragon Pie
24 February 2020 / Food and Drink /
We’re an undisputed nation of pie lovers. And to honour the mouth-watering celebration that is British Pie Week 2020, here’s one of our favourites at The Stables adapted for you to bake at home, created by our Junior Sous Chef Andrea Laszlo. This version is just as tasty yet incredibly easy, using ready-rolled puff pastry.
Incidentally, in a list of the nation’s top favourite pies, Chicken and Leek ranks as No. 4. We think our creamier twist on it with fresh tarragon and thyme could push it to no.1….
Britain’s Top 10 Pies
- Cottage Pie
- Fish Pie
- Shepherd’s Pie
- Chicken & Leek Pie
- Chicken and Mushroom Pie
- Steak and Ale Pie
- Meat and Potato Pie
- Pork Pie
- Steak and Kidney Pie
- Corned Beef Pie
Preparation time : less then 30 min
Cooking time : 30min to 1 hour
- 2 chicken breasts, roughly chopped
- 2 chicken legs, deboned and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed
- 1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry (320g/11½ oz)
- 1 leek, washed and sliced
- Small bunch of tarragon chopped
- 1 spring of thyme
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 100 ml double cream
- 1 teaspoon preferably Dijon or English mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190 C
- Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the chicken breasts and legs over a high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the leek, garlic, thyme, mustard and cook for 3 minutes
- Add the vegetable stock and double cream. Season it to taste.
- Cook it until the chicken is soft and tender then add the tarragon
- Pour the mixture into an ovenproof dish and lay the puff pastry sheet over the top.
- Brush with beaten egg mix and bake for 35 minutes or until the top is golden-brown and the pie is cooked through
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes
At The Stables, you’ll always find a pie of the day on our menu. Book a table and let someone else do the cooking.Book a Table