Inspired by asparagus
13 October 2014 / Food /
The asparagus season is short, but oh so sweet…
The British asparagus season – from April to June – sees a huge variety of local and heirloom varieties springing up in our Walled Garden here at The Grove. Grown according to the season as naturally as possible, now is the best possible time to create asparagus inspired dishes.
White asparagus and white chocolate tart
6 Egg Yolks
100g White Asparagus Trimmings
200g White Chocolate
Pinch of Maldon
3 leaves of Gelatine
- Place the asparagus trimmings in a heavy bottom pan along with your, milk, cream and half the sugar.
- Bring to the boil and leave to infuse off the heat, for 10 minutes.
- Soak your gelatine in iced water.
- Put remaining sugar and egg yolks into a large mixing bowl and whisk together to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl put your white chocolate and Maldon Salt.
- Strain the Asparagus mixture through a fine sieve.
- Return it to the boil and pour onto your egg mix whisking as you add it.
- Once completely incorporated return to the pan and cook to 82c, stirring constantly with a Maurice or wooden spoon.
- Once at the correct temperature pour onto your chocolate and add your softened gelatine.
- Mix all ingredients thouroughly and put in a bowl over iced water.
- You will notice your mixture beginning to thicken.
- Pour into a pre-baked tart case and leave to set in the fridge.