Focaccia Bread Recipe from Verde Kitchen
27 May 2022 / Food and Drink /
To celebrate the launch of our Italian-inspired summer pop-up, our talented Head Chef, Maarten Geschwindt, has shared the secrets behind his mouth-watering focaccia bread. You can thank us later!
- 190ml of water, lukewarm
- 20ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 7g of salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 310g of strong bread flour
- 6g of dried yeast, or 12g fresh yeast
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Flaked sea salt
- 1 sprig of rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas mark 8.
- Take half of the water and mix with the sugar and salt. Stir to dissolve.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the yeast in the remaining water.
- Fold the flour into the yeasted water, then add the salted water and mix until a nice, soft dough comes together.
- Knead for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic, then place in a bowl and cover with a damp tea towel.
- Once the dough has doubled in size (after 1.5 hours), gently flatten and stretch to fit into two lined baking trays, pushing it into the corners as you go. Leave to prove again for approximately one hour.
- Using the tips of your fingers, dimple the surface of the dough all over. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and then sprinkle over with sea salt and rosemary.
- Bake for 25 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
Verde Kitchen will be open throughout the summer for all to enjoy. Find out more and book your table now.